Thursday, December 13, 2012

Our Family Christmas Cookies


For years my mom would use a different cookie recipe (I’ll share that down the road).  However, once my grandma found this version using sour cream we never went back.  The cookies just turn out softer than others.  They freeze really well too.  Occasionally I’ll put little sprinkles on a select few.  The sprinkled ones are my Love’s favorites because he says they have freckles like he does J This may sound silly but I used to dream about marrying a guy with freckles…funny how some of the wildest things come true!  Back to the cookies though, I don’t sprinkle them all because the colors can sometimes bleed onto the icing if I defrost them and have to refreeze again.  Nonetheless, the cookies taste just as yummy!

Word to the wise, this recipe requires time.  I reserve this process when I have a day off and can blast the Christmas music as loud as I want or watch Parenthood on Netflix all day.  If you have little kids or family around this would be a great way to spend time together!    It makes between 9-10 dozen cookies.  After making this a few times, I definitely had an appreciation for grandma doing this every year. 


Holiday Cut Out Cookies

2 C butter                  
3 C white sugar        
5 eggs                       
¼ C water                 
1 C sour cream
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t vanilla
7 C flour

Add sugar and butter, then add eggs, water, and sour cream.
Add dry ingredients, chill dough. Roll and cut out. (You may
Need to add more flour so dough isn’t too sticky.)  Bake at
350 degrees for 8 minutes. DON’T OVERBAKE. Bake until
Puffed up.


Icing 

½ stick oleo/butter
½ t salt
2 t vanilla
¼ C milk
3 C powdered sugar

Beat all together.
*can substitute 2 egg whites for milk
*about 1.5-2 batches for 1 batch of cookies, depending on how much frosting you prefer


From Grandma’s kitchen, to mine, to yours – Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?