Thursday, January 31, 2013

Picture Canvases Made Easy

My brother and his new bride recently were married this past fall.  So, when Christmas time came around, I new that I wanted to give my new sister a gift that looked impressive and came from the heart.  I'd seen different types of diy picture canvas ideas floating around Pinterest so I decided to give it a try.  I had fun doing it and by the time I was done, even I was impressed by what I had accomplished.   It was a progression of images from the proposal, engagement photos, and the wedding....


***Just a thought, with Valentine's around the corner, this would be such a meaningful gift for someone special whether it be a significant other, parent, grandparent, etc...

My supplies:
Three 8 inch square canvases
Three 8x11 inch photos
Black spray paint
Elmer's spray adhesive
Mod Podge matte finish
Sponge brush
Old dish/container
Ribbon
Tacks


Spray paint the canvases.  Don't worry about the main canvas surface getting perfectly painted because a photo will go on top.  Focus on getting the edges and sides sprayed well.  Next, cut the photos down to 8" squares.  



Cover the canvas surface with the spray adhesive and the set photo on top.  Make sure the edges have extra glue sprayed on so that the edges of the photo will adhere well.  Let the photo set....as long as you like :)  I let mine set overnight since I didn't have a full day to complete the project in one sitting.  




I poured some Mod Podge into an old dish and grabbed my sponge brush.  I know the "sponge brush" has a more official sounding name but I just kind of like the sound of it and I'm sure you know what I'm referring to based on the pictures.  I dipped my brush in and then starting coating the canvas.  It went on very cloudy but dried clear.  


It's also important to be aware of how you are painting the Mod Podge on because once it dries you will be able to see the brush strokes on the canvas.  I used diagonal brush strokes on mine but I've seen waves and random strokes used on other projects that turned out great too.  Hopefully in the picture below you can see what I mean when you "see the brush strokes."  The Mod Podge starts to set decently quick so get a complete first layer on as fast and neatly as possible....similar to painting your nails...when the polish starts to dry and you brush over it, you can see the brush marks and it doesn't look quite as smooth.  


Let the canvas set until the Mod Podge layer has dried clear.  I applied a second coat to ensure the photo edges wouldn't peel off the canvas down the road. 

Almost done! I cut some black ribbon and tacked it onto the back of the canvas frame.  I think they would've been just as cute without the ribbon but it gives another option for hanging.  


I could tell it turned out really well when my mom asked me where I ordered them from.  I LOVED how they looked when all was said and done and will definitely be making a set of photos for myself.  I especially loved how these photos capture some of the most precious moments in their life.  I feel so strongly that it's important to remember where you've come from and what journey life has taken you on...these are a reminder for two amazing people in my life about how amazing their love story has taken shape.  


2 comments:

  1. So cute, Linds! What a personal and special gift. I'm sure Sarah loved them! :)

    Kim Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may steal this idea for our guest room!

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?