Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Dying Wish to Bless Another

Every now and then, we all need a little uplifting.  Work and life and responsibilities get in the way.  We get stressed and discouraged and lose sight of a bigger picture.  I'm blessed in so many ways to have an amazing  husband, family, and friends to encourage me when I feel like I'm losing my grip, to strengthen me when I'm weak, and to heal me when I break.  Strangers can even have just as much of an impact with a single act of kindness.  It can be a nice word or action...something tying us together in a moment of selflessness that touches both our lives and lifts our spirits more than we think possible.

Some of you may have heard this story already.  I'm a listener of The Kane Show here in DC and heard this on my way to work one morning.  As a former waitress it particularly touched me because I remember how special it was to receive a large tip from a customer out of blue.  In this case, one family's tragedy became a blessing that will keep on giving.  Earlier this month, a young man named Aaron Collins passed away.  His dying wish in his will was to have his family enjoy pizza and tip their waitress $500.  What an amazing person he must have been...



And the second person to be blessed...




After spending a couple months on an oncology (cancer) rotation for school at Walter Reed, I promised myself that whenever I thought life was getting too hard, to remember those soldiers fighting to live each day.  Lately, I've forgotten that.  I've forgotten that my challenges are small in comparison to others.  What I face will only make me stronger.  I have my health and the love of others to get me through each day.  What I need to remember though, is that as long as I am alive, there is always time to bless someone whether I know them or not.  


*The family of Aaron Collins have created a website and are collecting donations.  As long as they continue to receive funds, they will continue to give to others.  For details visit aaroncollins.org



2 comments:

  1. What an amazing attitude, to go into a situation saying "Hopefully we can be a blessing to someone," instead of saying "Hopefully this place has good pizza"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?